PARTNERS FOR SUCCESS® IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS
Last year our Latino and African American students showed 10%-12% academic growth in reading. Partners for Success help us remove 3 of the 4 Adequate Yearly Progress cells we were deficient in.
Family Support Workers:
- Partner with school staff to identify students who are struggling, especially in the area of reading
- Develop a plan to assist families in implementing effective home-based strategies
- Provide regular communication between teachers and families regarding progress
- Assist families with basic needs (food, housing, safety, community resources) that, if not met, would prevent families from focusing on their child’s academic achievement
- Provide ongoing support and follow-up to ensure that families and students implement the recommended strategies successfully
The Cost of Doing Nothing in Our Elementary Schools
- Those who are not reading proficiently by third grade are less likely to graduate.
- Children who fall behind in first grade have a 1 in 8 chance of ever catching up to grade level without extraordinary efforts. (Journal of Educational Psychology, 1994)