Position Type: Full-time; 40 hours per week, may include some nights and weekends
Pay Range: $18.54 per hour
Location: Dakota County, Minnesota, with primary office in Inver Grove Heights
Closing Date: Open until filled; preference given to applications received by June 15, 2018
About 360 Communities
Founded in 1970 by a group of volunteers, 360 Communities is a nonprofit organization which provides services to about 17,000 people annually in over 40 locations in Dakota County, Minnesota. Holistic services include a network of five food shelves, two family resource centers, two domestic and sexual violence shelters, and three programs that support school success from birth to high school graduation.
In the spirit of caring for our neighbors, 360 Communities provides hope and support to people by engaging communities to prevent violence, ensure school success and promote long-term self-sufficiency.
The Outreach Advocate will serve as a resource to domestic violence and sexual assault victims by providing services and resources within the community. Advocates routinely assist in delivering legal advocacy services, providing feedback to criminal justice system professionals, and attending court hearings with clients as necessary. This position will work independently in addressing issues and concerns within the community and work with the supervisor to ensure caseload is managed appropriately.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Provide holistic advocacy services including safety planning, child/adult education, community connections/resources, housing needs, financial needs, legal needs (excluding legal advice), building support networks and other services/resources as apparent.
- Exhibit knowledge of the uniqueness and complexities that are associated with providing culturally specific case management.
- Initiate follow up for ongoing case management with victims who report to law enforcement, attend court hearings, and call for resources, shelter, or other services.
- Respond to the hospital for domestic and sexual assault exams during scheduled work times, and/or as directed by the supervisor.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with all community partners, strengthen the relationship between advocacy and the Hispanic community, and provide education and feedback as needed including information specific to the Hispanic community.
- Collaborate and assist in the development and implementation of culturally specific programming for victims at 360 Communities locations and/or in the community.
- Arrange appointments and accompany clients as necessary.
- Assist in shelter as directed or necessary.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish and English languages required.
- Calm, non-judgmental, demeanor when subjected to traumatic and emotional personal life stories.
- Experience with socially, economically or culturally diverse populations, specifically Spanish speaking cultures.
- Ability to adapt and work in a fast-paced, multi-faceted, environment utilizing independent decision making and prioritization skills.
- Assertive communication skills when discussing situations with authority.
- Proficient communication in English – both written and verbal.
- Basic working computer knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and database systems.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in a human services or closely related field and one to two years of related experience with victims of violence; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A valid Minnesota driver’s license, insurance, and acceptable driving record
- Sexual Assault Services Advocacy Training; either successful completion of, or ability to complete training within 6 months of hire
- Minnesota Mandated Reporter training; either successful completion of, or ability to complete training during the first available opening after hire
- Must pass a pre-employment background check
- One to two years related experience and/or training is preferred but will train the right person.